Sunday, October 10, 2010

What's for dinner 10/10/10

Breakfast is what's for dinner tonight. Who says you can only eat breakfast at the crack of dawn? It's an easy, simple and so yummy meal to prepare. I suggest you do it often!

So on tonight's breakfast menu is the following: pancakes, eggs and bacon. Pretty much the staple of breakfast items.

Here's my recipe for the pancakes:

2 cups of all purpose flour (stir or sift it before you measure. It helps to keep the batter airy)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbls sugar
1/2 tsp salt

mix the items well

In a separate bowl (I actually use my measuring cup) mix 1 1/2 c milk and 2 eggs.

Pour the egg mixture in the flour mixture. Now stir. Here's where it's important to not over stir. If you do, your cakes will be tough. Don't want a tough pancake. Stir until it is blended. Don't worry if you see lumps, it okay. Trust me.

Now melt about 2 tbs of butter and blend it in the batter. Again, don't over mix or you're gonna have tough cakes.

Make sure your griddle is on about 375. I use a ladle to pour my batter on the griddle. You could also use an ice cream scooper. Yes, an ice cream scooper. It gives you the perfect amount for a perfect pancake. I wasn't being perfect tonight so I used the ladle which makes it a tad bit faster.

Watch your cakes and when you see tiny bubbles, flip those babies! Now leave them cooking for about another minute. Take a peek at them and see if they are brown. Now from my experience, they won't look like the top which are all golden brown, they'll be splotchy. That's because of the bubbles. So don't leave them on too long hoping they will look like the top. It won't happen and you'll burn your hard work. When they are brown, take the off. Now this is important. Make sure you put the ugly splotchy part on the plate so your golden brown cakes are showing. It's all about presentation people! ;) If you like, you can add butter between each cake, but I didn't find it necessary since I added quite a bit of butter in the batter.

Serve with your favorite syrup. Now I've not gone so far as to make my own syrup...but I'm thinking it is coming. We barely had enough store bought syrup tonight. GASP.

Bear's and Baby Girl's egg were scrambled. I sometimes add a drop of texas pete or salsa in the eggs. Gives them a kick!

My egg was a cheese omelet. Now the secret to an omelet is to let that puppy s.l.o.w.l.y cook. Turn the heat on low/med heat. Put your pan on the heat for about 30 seconds to a minute, then add your egg. I then add my fillings. In this case, about 1/2 a slice of White American cheese in bits. Now leave you egg alone. I'm serious, don't look at it, don't talk to it, just let it be. It will thank you for it. Now, I'm saying to forget about it though. When the egg has fluffed up and I mean fluffed up and there is hardly any egg left on it, it's time to fold it into an omelet. If you let it get to this point, it so easy to fold it. Fold it ever so gently, speaking sweetly to it and let it rest on the pan for about one minute, then flip it, again, let it rest for about a minute. Now, if your egg has gotten dark brown, your heat was too high. Your omelet will be a very so slight golden brown. I put salsa on mine sometimes, but not tonight.

The bacon, well is bacon. Just cook it the way you like. I do mine in the microwave for about a minute and half per slice.

Serve and eat!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment