Friday, October 8, 2010

What's for dinner

I get so many people complimenting me on my menu choices (bows as I blush) that I've decided to blog about it.

So what's for dinner tonight?

Nothing that will make your toes curl, but it's an old recipe that my mom would do for Bear when we would go visit her. She knew to always make this for him. I guess I'm feeling kind of nostalgic for some of my mom's cooking. Now I've personally never made this before so I'm kinda of nervous. I vaguely recalled how my mom made it. My mom never went by a recipe (that I remember) so asking her for a recipe was like asking the Sun why it appeared every day. It just does. So a lot of her yummiest foods I can't make because I have no clue on how to make them. I can just go by memory.

Any way, what am I making? I know the suspense is down right killing ya huh? Well on a autumn night what's better than a good toasted sandwich? Yep, I'm making Reuben sandwiches tonight!

Here's how I'm going to do it:

I have 1/2 lb corned beef (thinly sliced)
1/4 lb of Swiss cheese (I will put White American on mine as I don't like Swiss)
Dark rye bread
sauerkraut (drained as much as possible. No one likes a soggy sanmich!)

Now for the sauce. I remember my mom only used a mixture of mayonnaise and mustard on her sandwiches. She wasn't much on spices or a daredevil like me (smirking). I think I will still use the mixture of mayo and mustard but just may add a little bit of ketchup and maybe, just maybe, some herbs. Not sure what kind yet. I'm leaning toward basil. Not sure. I'll have to taste it on the bread to see. It seems to me the rye has enough kick that the dressing doesn't really need to be BAM! in your face.

So I'm going to butter the bread on the part that will be grilled on the inside I will put some of the sauce on both pieces of bread. Then I will put the meat then cheese and then the kraut. Put the sandwich together and use my griddle set on 350 and toast each side for around 3-4 minutes. Now I have found a trick to make a grilled sandwich sing, YES! sing people! I put on top of the sandwiches a baking sheet and slightly, with oh so much love, press down on the sandwiches. I keep the sheet on until time to flip. Flip the sandwich and put the sheet on again. It keeps the heat in better and makes the cheese melt divinely!

I think these sandwiches will be WICKED yummy.

I'm making the finicky eater a grilled cheese on plain white bread. She's excited so that's good enough for me.

I'll serve the sandwiches with some homemade potato salad

Which is:

a couple of potatoes cubed and boiled for about 10 minutes.
One hard boiled egg
Mayo and a tiny bit of mustard. You gotta go on taste on this one. Some like it more mayo and some like it more mustard. Your preference.
diced onion (again your preference. I usually use about a tbs or 1 1/2 tbs
salt and pepper

Mix all that together and there you go my simple but yummy potato salad. Some like relish and stuff in theirs, but that's not my bag so I leave it out. I'm the only one that eats it so I make it the way I like. Short and sweet.. just like me! (sheepish grin).

and potato chips for Bear and Baby Girl.

So that's what's for dinner tonight. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I went with mayo, mustard, ketchup, a bit of sugar and onions in the sauce. DELISH!! It was the BEST Reuben sandwich I ever ate. Baby Girl even liked it! Bear said it was the BEST! So yay me!

    OH! and I changed the order. I put meat, kraut then cheese. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete