Sunday, October 31, 2010

What's for lunch 10/31/10

I decided, since the weather has gotten a little chilly, that I'm going to make some soup for lunch for the week. Today, I decided to make Grill Red Pepper soup. Now I've never made this soup before so I was a little excited and and tiny bit apprehensive.

I started with 4 red peppers, 4 cloves of garlic, one onion and a large potato.

The first thing I did was to peel and cut the potato. I boiled it for about 25 minutes. I wanted it very mushy.

I cut the red peppers in chunks making sure I took out the seeds. I put them in about 1 tbs of olive oil and a little bit of minced garlic. I put it on the grill in a grilling basket for about 15 minutes. Next time, I'll put them in there for about 10-12. Some got a little burnt. I will also add some fresh basil. I didn't have any this time so I put dried basil in the soup.

Then I chopped the onion and boy did I cry!! It was the strongest onion I've chopped in a loong time! I chopped the garlic too. I sauteed the onion and garlic in about 2 tbs of olive oil for about 3-4 minutes.

I transferred all the veggies in a blender and pureed them. Now, I did not remove the skins of the peppers. The next time, I just may. It's really your preference. The skin kind of remains and gives the soup a different texture, but it's not off putting. I don't know if it will be worth taking the time to peel the peppers. That will take a lot of work. Like I said, your preference.

After the veggies are pureed, you transfer them to a big pot and add 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil while stirring. Once the soup comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.

This soup was so delicious! Amanda even enjoyed it, which is saying volumes! I had a slice of sour dough bread with it. If I had time, I would have made a salad, but I really didn't need to. It was very fulfilling.

Make you pot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment