Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What's for dinner 10/13/10

After a long day at the zoo, I wasn't really in the mood to do a lot of cooking so I decided to make a pizza and garlic knots.

Now this was the first time I made the knots and man were they good!

You'll need two pizza stones. Put them in an 450 oven for about 10 minutes.

Now before I started the dough, I began my sauce. Here's that recipe.

1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp basil
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 minced garlic cloves

Bring it to a boil, then simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

Yes, we love to keep vampires away so we love lots of garlic.


So here's the dough recipe for the knots and pie.

3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs baking powder
1 cup water

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the water. Mix by hand. Knead until the dough is smooth and pliable. About 2 minutes. I took about a third of the dough and made knots. I pinched off a bit and rolled in between my hands, reminded me of playing with play doh and making snakes. Take the snake and make a knot. Once made, put on one of the pizza stones that have been in the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes.

While the knots were baking, I took the remainder of the dough and made the pie. Before you put the pie dough on the second stone, put a dusting off corn meal on it. This keeps the pie from sticking. Roll the dough on the stone. You can try the pizza flipping thing, but I can't do that, so I just use a roller. Bake for 10 minutes.

After the knots were done, I put 2 tbs of butter and about 1 tbs of olive oil in a small glass casserole dish. I added another 3 minced garlic cloves; that's 6 in all. Then put the knots in the dish. I returned the dish to the oven and baked for about 5 minutes. When you take them out of the oven, mix them in butter sauce so they will have the sauce all on them. Serve them with the tomato sauce.

When the pie dough is done, put as much sauce as you want on the dough and add your pizza topping. I put pepperoni and cheese. Put in the oven again for about 5-10 more minutes. You know, until the cheese is melted.

So yummy, fun and easy.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forot to mention that after the sauce had been cooking for about 15 minutes, use a masher and mash the tomatoes so they're not chunky.

    ReplyDelete