Thursday, May 16, 2013

Big Mac Attack!

I had a pretty stressful day today. I went and had my annual mammogram. The actual mammogram doesn't hurt. I've never minded it. I do have to say, I preferred it before I got my breast reduction, so it is true, the smaller the boob the more it's uncomfortable. What I hate is the waiting. I've had a couple of scares and they always play through my mind while I'm waiting to be smooshed and even after until I either get a letter (which is good news) or the dreaded phone call to come back. I've set my thoughts on positive and am sure I'll get the good news letter but never the less, it still stresses me. When I got done, which was around lunch time, I immediately wanted a Big Mac. So now you know my deep rooted secret (only if you don't know me), my comfort food is junk food. Hello, my name is Gina and I'm a junk food junkie.

Since being on this new way of eating, I've steered clear of all pre-made/fast food. I almost caved and asked Bear to bring us home a Big Mac, which he would do without hesitation, but then I took a breath and thought, "No! I'm not going to undo the work I've done!" A few years back, I ran across a low calorie version of a Big Mac. It was by Devin Alexander. So, I found the recipe and decided that I will have my Big Mac and french fries I am so craving.



Here's what you'll need: (this is for one burger)


3 ounces 96% lean ground beef (about 1⁄3 cup)
 2 pinches of salt
 1 sesame seed hamburger bun + 1 bun bottom
 1 slice (1⁄2 ounce) 2% milk yellow American cheese
 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon McDonald’s Big Mac
 Sauce (below)
 1 teaspoon finely chopped white onion
 1⁄3 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
 2 rounds dill pickle

Here's how to do it:

I used ground sirloin because I just don't trust what's in lean ground beef. It makes me just wonder. I also used regular Kraft Singles. I know, I know...they are not real cheese, but dang it! For a Big Mac, you gotta have just regular old Kraft Singles! I took 9 oz of meat and divided it into 6 patties. You want them to be thin. I seasoned both sides of the patties with salt. Then as the recipe states, I put them on wax paper on a plate and put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes.

I then cooked them on my electric griddle. Man, do I love that thing! They only take a few minutes on each side because they are so thin.

I took the buns and cut the top bun in half horizontally so I would only use one bun instead of a bun and a half. I mean, what are you going to do with the other top bun? Such a waste! Then I toasted them on the griddle while the burgers where cooking.

I then put just one piece of cheese on one of the patties for each Big Mac. Then I assembled the burger. I put the sauce on the bottom, then added the burger with the cheese then added the bun that was cut from the top part of the bun and then added the last burger. I then placed the onions, pickles and lettuce and placed more sauce on the top bun. Viola! you now have your Big Mac!

Here's the recipe for the sauce:

What you'll need:


1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dill pickle relish
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon finely chopped white onion

Here's how to make it:

Put the mayo, relish, ketchup, sugar and mustard in a bowl and mix. I actually divided my mixture as Bear said he didn't want any and Baby Girl wasn't eating it either. It will stay good in the frig for up to a month so I put what I wasn't going to use tonight in a container to use later. I then added about 2 teaspoons of chopped onion to my mixture for tonight. Easy peasy. The only thing, and I'm not sure if it's because I haven't ate a lot of sugar lately, it seemed really sweet to me. I probably could of/should of left out the sugar as the low fat mayo was sweet enough.

I also made homemade fries to go with my Big Mac:

What you'll need:

I used 4 Russet Potatoes
salt, pepper
and olive oil

Peel your potatoes. I cut my in half vertically and then cut them into fries. I then put the fries in a bowl of water. This will make your fries crispy when you cook them in the oven. If I'm in a hurry, I add them to a bowl of hot (out of the tap) water. Tonight, I had plenty of time, so I put them in a bowl and let them sit until I was ready to bake the fries. Once I was ready, I drained the water and added olive oil (enough to get on all the potatoes, about a tablespoon) and salt and pepper. I put them on a cookie sheet that I've sprayed with cooking spray. I then put them in a preheated 425 degree oven and cook for about 30-40 minutes. Until golden and crispy. They are so yummy and healthy as you're not frying them. I did goof tonight and put my oven on 450! Why in the world I did that I have no idea, so my fries burned. Some were still edible but over 3/4 had to be tossed.

Now if only I could figure out how to make Cheester's Hot Fries I'd be in bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment