Monday, May 13, 2013

It's Greek To Me!

Tonight for dinner I made Mini Greek-style Meat Loaves with Arugula Salad. 

What you'll need: 


  • 10 ounce ground sirloin 
  • 5 ounces lean ground lamb
  • 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup grated red onion
  • 4 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
  • 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • large egg, lightly beaten 
  • Cooking spray 
  • 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt 
  • 2 ounces reduced-fat feta, crumbled
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups baby arugula leaves
  • 1 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) diagonally sliced seeded peeled cucumber
How to make it: 

I chopped all my herbs first and put 1 tbs each of the mint and thyme in a bowl. I put 1 tsp each of the mint and thyme in a smaller bowl to use for the "sauce". I couldn't grate the onion so I finely chopped that sucker and cried while doing it. I had forgotten how strong onions are that are not Sweet Onions (which is what I use 99% of the time). I put the onions in their own bowl. In the bowl with the 2 tbs of herbs in it I added 1/4 tsp of sea salt, the ground all spice, red pepper and the fresh minced garlic. I sat that bowl off to the side until I was ready to make the mini meatloaves. 

In a glass bowl, I added the yogurt, feta cheese, 1 tbs of lemon juice and the 2 tsp of the reserved herbs. I didn't have couldn't find my mini processor so I used my hand wand (which didn't work too well, but well enough)to mix the items. After mixing with the hand wand, I did use a whisk as well. Once it wasn't so lumpy, I put it the frig until I served the meal. 

I then mixed the dressing which consisted of 1 tbs of lemon juice, 1 tbs of olive oil, 1/8 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of freshly ground pepper. I whisked those ingredients together well. I then used a baby arugula and baby spinach mix I got from the store. I then peeled and sliced an English cucumber. I added those together in a big bowl w/ a lid and added the dressing and shook the crap out of it to coat it well. I stuck the salad in the frig too until it was time to eat.

I turned the oven on to 450 degrees. I then used 15 oz of ground sirloin. The recipe called for 10 oz ground sirloin and 5 oz ground lamb. Well, I've never eaten lamb and I didn't want to buy a pound for who knows how much (I know it is more expensive than beef) to maybe not like it. Not to mention it is a baby sheep. That makes me sad. I know, I know...a little bit of a double standard. I can eat beef and chicken but the only baby I eat of those is eggs aaannd they are not babies yet, so I feel okay with that. Any way, back to making the meal...I took the meat and added the bread crumbs and onions. I mixed it pretty well by using my hands. Then I added in the bowl of herbs and other items. I mixed it with my hands as well. By this time, Bear was home so I had him lightly beat the egg. He looked at me like I was speaking in tongues when I asked him to lightly beat the egg. I forgotten he's not a cook. LOL. Once I explained to him what it meant, he got right on it. I had him add the egg to the meat mixture and I mixed it well by using my hands. I was going to use my ice cream scooper to use to put the meat in 8 sprayed muffin cups in a muffin pan, but my scooper is broken, so I just used my hands. I tore off pieces, like making cookies and put them in the muffin cups. I baked the meatloaves for 13 minutes and then put them under the broiler for 2 minutes for a total of 15 minutes. 

I also made mashed potatoes to go with it. I mean you can't have meatloaf without potatoes. To cut down on the fat, I used chicken bouillon cubes instead of butter. I did add some garlic powder because I felt it would compliment the rest of the meal. 

The Verdict:

I'm not going to lie. When I tasted the "sauce" it was AWFUL! I thought, "oh crap! What I have made?" But I was going to wait and see how it all came together before really judging the meal. But in the back of my mind I thought, "Baby Girl and Bear will love this and I'll hate it." That's the norm. Bear asked how it was going to be and I was truthful and said we may have to end up going out to eat. But that didn't happen. With the sauce on the side and added it to each bite of the meat it was delicious! The salad was really nice too. Again, I haven't bought new EVOO so it still had that too "robust flavor" but it was nice with the cucumber. And as predicted, Bear and Baby Girl enjoyed the sauce and meat a little more than I did. I could do without the sauce. Both Bear and I loved the salad (the cucumbers were outstanding) but Baby Girl didn't like it at all. In all, I'll make this meal again. It was easy and very yummy and HEALTHY! 

Give it a try.  You won't be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment