Saturday, May 11, 2013

Healthy Eating

I had my annual Doctor's visit last month. She told me what I already knew: I HAD to lose weight. She even suggested a liquid diet; which made me gasp. She'd never even remotely spoke of doing "fad" diets before. I knew going in I was overweight but when your doctor tells you under no uncertain terms you HAVE to lose weight for your health, well I really took it to heart. Name a fatal disease and either one of my parents had it. Heart disease? My dad. Diabetes? My mom. Cancer? My mom. High blood pressure? Both my parents.

So I began the "SlimFast" diet. Blech. No way could I drink 2/3 of my meals. I have to eat. So staying in the mindset of  SlimFast, I have decided to eat my calories as they suggest. SlimFast suggests drinking 2 shakes (190 calories each), eating 3 snacks (100 calories each) and one 500 calories balance meal. So in all you're eating around 1200 calories a day.

So my basic days goes like this: around 10 or 11am I drink my morning shake. I don't really feel like cooking first thing in the morning so it's convenient. This morning, I did make zucchini mini muffins. I ate one muffin, 3 pieces of center cut bacon and a scrambled egg for a total of about 190 calories.

Around 1:00pm I eat a 100 calorie snack. I Googled "100 calorie snack" and was pleased to see there's quite a few on the web. My favorite is cucumber slices, 11 Townhouse Oil and Sea Salt Flatbread Crackers and Tribe red pepper hummus. Today, I had Salmon and cucumber bites. It was sooo yummy and filling. The salmon you get is important. I tried several smoked variety and finally found one that wasn't too salty or fishy. I got it from Publix: Vita Wild Nova Salmon. Delish!

Around 3:00-3:30 I eat lunch. Sometimes, I combine a snack and lunch depending on how hungry I am at the time. My go to lunch lately has been Pepperidge Farm Thin Everything Bagel with 1 tsp of low fat cream cheese, about an ounce of turkey and spring salad sandwich. It is filling and yummy. Today, I was hungry, so I added a cup of Campbell's 100% Natural Tomato Garden Soup. Yumm.

I begin making dinner around 5:30 or 6:00. If I haven't eaten a snack with lunch, I eat one while prepping dinner. Usually the humus again. I just can't get enough of Tribe's Red Pepper!! Tonight we had King Salmon with Tomato & Peach Salsa.  I also served Parmesan Couscous with grilled vegetables (asparagus, red pepper, and yellow squash with garlic). I LOVED the salsa with the salmon. They really complimented each other. Bear liked it as well; Baby Girl, not so much. But she did enjoy the salmon.

 I kept wondering why some of my food was tasting "off" and found out it was my olive oil. It's EVOO but didn't taste like it. It was too strong. I took a look at the bottle and noticed "robust flavor" on it. Well no duh! So I have to get a new bottle of EVOO and my meals will be even better.

Around 9:00-9:30 I eat my last snack. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweet so I'll eat either Oikos Fruit on the Bottom Greek Yogurt or Healthy Choice Frozen Greek Yogurt. I also found mini ice cream sandwiches when I want a special treat. They are 100 calories and oh so cute!

I've been doing this for a little over a week and I feel amazing! I have no idea if I've lost any weight. I'm going to wait a month before weighing. I don't want to get discourage. I have more energy and just feel over all better.

I'm still trying to workout at least 3 times a week. We made it to the gym twice this week and Baby Girl, Bear and I played some ball for two days. My goal is to stay healthy. It's not about thin; it's about being here to see my grand babies and hopefully, great grand babies!

I do have to say that it's so expensive to eat healthy. I find it almost criminal. But we aren't eating out because the meals I'm making are damn near gourmet meals so that is saving money.  I plan on blogging later on some of the meals I've made. Some have been HUGE hits and some have been misses.

I'm hoping to have a huge smile from my doctor next year when she's seen the hard work I've done for me and my family.

2 comments:

  1. Nail on the head with the fact that eating healthy is expensive!

    I sincerely believe that's why Americans who don't have a lot of income are less healthy because they have to buy not so healthy food in bulk. It's REALLY expensive to buy healthy food "as you go."

    Our grocery bill is the highest bill every month next to our mortgage.

    And kudos for not only changing your diet and feeling better, but working out the Slim Fast caloric intake and just transferring that to actual food. There's no way I could just drink my food all day and have one meal. I need to chew! Ahahaha!

    And wow! You get so much yummy food to eat while still staying in your calorie guidelines. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I love to cook, searching for recipes is really fun for me. The trick is to find something we all like and that is hard as hell to do. Usually it's two liking it and one not. It's rare I hit a home run and we all love it. lol.

    I know that was one of the reasons we gained weight...trying to eat cheap. Well, my health is more important at this point, so I just suck it up and spend double what I was spending on groceries. It kills my pocketbook, but better killing that then me, literally.

    ReplyDelete