Friday, May 17, 2013

Cluck Went the Chicken

I had a really pleasant day today catching up with a dear friend as our daughters happily played together. I was glad I had planned an easy salad for dinner tonight because I was really hungry when I got home and I didn't have a whole lot of time to make dinner.

I made Chopped Greek Salad with Chicken.

What you'll need:


  • 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, (about 12 ounces; see Tip)
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced ripe black olives
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

What you do:

The recipe called for any cooked chicken. I actually grilled chicken for this recipe. I just seasoned two breasts with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. While the chicken was grilling, I made the salad.

For the dressing combine the vinegar, oil, I used dried oregano, garlic powder, salt and powder in a container. I used the measuring cup I measured the vinegar in to add the other ingredients. Then whisk the ingredients well.

In a large bowl, I added the lettuce, tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes), cucumber (I used an English cucumber), red onion, black olives and the feta cheese.  I also added a little bit of sea salt and ground fresh pepper. I then added the dressing and tossed the salad to mix the dressing well with the salad. The salad looked so pretty. Baby Girl even commented how nice it looked.

When the chicken was cooked, I let it cool for about 5 minutes then chopped it and put it in the salad. I mixed the salad again to distribute the chicken.

I also took two whole-wheat pita bread and brushed a little olive oil on them and added a little bit of Parmesan cheese on top. I toasted them until the cheese was melted and the bread golden brown. I cut them into slices and served with marinara sauce. They were like bread sticks.

This salad was DELICIOUS! I'm not a fan of Italian dressing but this was exceptional. All the ingredients just complimented each other so nicely. Nothing over powered one another. 

I highly recommend this easy to make salad. It was also very filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment