Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sweet Tooth Fairy

I was wanting something sweet so I made Chocolate Almond Cherry Crisps.
Dense yummy balls...
What you'll need:
 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
 3/4 cup of white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
 3/4 cup of chopped cherries
1/3 cup toasted chopped almonds
 1/2 tsp vanilla.

What I did: I melted the chocolate in the microwave in a microwavable bowl. I then added all the other ingredients and stirred away. I took wax paper and put a sheet on a cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop and dropped about 30 crisps. I put the sheet in the refrigerator for about an hour.

The Verdict: 2 crisps are about 100 calories. Perfect for one of my snack allowance.

They were so easy and yummy. Bear even liked them. Two is plenty. It gives you all the sweetness you need. I love the CRUNCH too. The original recipe doesn't call for the cherries or the almonds to be chopped or even for the almonds to be toasted. I felt toasted almonds would taste better so that's why I chose to toast them. I also didn't want the almonds or cherries to be over powering so that is why I chopped them. I will definitely be making these sweet gems again!!


I also made, a few days ago, Brownie Cookies.
The last two cookies
What you'll need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa 
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Spoon in the flour using a knife to level. It will make the cookie more airy. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the cocoa (again, I used a spoon to add the cocoa then leveled with a knife) and sugars. The result will look like brown yummy sand. Add to the "sand" the yogurt and vanilla. Stir to mix. Add the flour mixture and stir until wet. It will resemble brownie mix and smell like it too! I almost made brownies, but decided to stick to the recipe. Spray your cookie sheets with your cooking spray. I then used my trusty cookie scoop and dropped about 24 cookies. I have a gas oven so I baked mine for 10 minutes. Take them out and let them cool 3 minutes on the sheets then transfer to cooling racks to continue to cool. I put them in plastic bags to keep. They're only two left so that tells me something. :)

The Verdict: One cookie is around 80 calories. That's why I've only eaten two. That's almost one of my snack calorie allowance.

I ate one the day I made them (they weren't quite cooled) and then ate another one the next day as a dessert. I prefer them cooled. They were like a brownie with crispy edges. That's when I named them Brownie Cookies. Both Bear and Baby Girl like the cookies. Bear more so than Baby Girl. They are a good alternative when you want a more healthy cookie.

  • Both recipes are great for your sweet tooth! Enjoy!
     


No comments:

Post a Comment